Now is the time to really get in gear for the holidays if you haven’t already. Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas are the easy ones…did you know about these others as well? (Thanks, Etsy On Sale, for the reminder!)
Oktoberfest Sept 22 – Oct 7
Yom Kippur Sept 25-26
Columbus Day Oct 8
Eid-al-Adha Oct 25-26
Halloween Oct 31
Dia de los Muertos Nov 1-2
Veterans Day Nov 12
Thanksgiving (USA) Nov 22
BLACK FRIDAY Nov 23
CYBER MONDAY Nov 26
Hanukkah Dec 8-16
Christmas Dec 25
Boxing Day Dec 26
Kwanzaa Dec 26
New Years (Gregorian calendar) Jan 1
Keep in mind that targeted items sell better! Etsy is worldwide and not everyone celebrates the same holidays as your family. Learn about a new one by clicking each holiday above. You might even learn something new about a holiday you currently celebrate! Come back and let us know what holidays you’re planning for already and what holiday you think you’ll add into your shop items.
What are your customers saying about you? What do you do if you don’t know? I mean, you could always contact your local psychic to find out, but let’s start somewhere a little simpler: Google. Have you heard of Google Alerts? It’s an absolute MUST! Imagine getting an email almost every single time your business name is brought up online publicly (unfortunately, facebook doesn’t count). That’s what the power of Google Alerts does. I’ve been using it for years and I swear by it! How do you get all set up? Well, I’m glad you asked! It’s really simple so follow along and let me know what you think!
First, head to http://www.google.com/alerts. In the very first box, type in what you want to search for. For example, I have one set up for “sykin” so it’ll capture everything from my blog and my etsy shop. This is the word (or words) google will search for, around the clock, and notify you of when it’s found.
Next, select where to search, how often you want to be notified, how many results you want, and your email address. Then hit “create alert”.
Finally, this will create the alerts and send them to you via email. It’s that easy! Here’s an example of what the emails look like:
Pretty cool, huh? Did you find this useful? Please let me know! I’d love to feature more tutorials like this on our blog if they are helpful to you!
Congratulations to our Treasure Hunt winner:
Leah from LeahsLittleBowtique!
Look for an email from me today to collect your prize basket
SO NOW THAT THE TREASURE HUNT IS OVER…
What did you think? We’d love to get some feedback regarding the event. Did you love it? Hate it? Find it confusing? Was it too much working it in together with the Christmas in July sales? We want to try and hold events that the majority are interested in and we can’t do that unless you tell us what you like and don’t like. So please, share! Feel free to leave a comment on this thread, or shoot us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your emailed information will only be shared with the Events & Promotions Committee leaders (Jenn and Erin).
Happy Monday, all! We hope you have a great selling week.
Are you good at “hide and seek”, Easter Egg Hunts, “I Spy”? Try your hand at the EtsyMom Treasure Hunt! From July 12 to July 22, everyone around the globe (EtsyMom or not) can scour through participating EtsyMom shops, looking for hidden treasures. Each participating shop will hide an icon inside one of their listing photos. It’s YOUR job to find that icon. Once you’ve found it, you’ll send in the link to us and get entered in to win an EtsyMom prize basket! Each correct link you find gets you entered in.
Did we get your attention? GOOD! Check out the shops below…these are just some of the participating shops! Get to know their items and listings to give you an advantage.
How much exposure would you like?
This year, we will be combining our Christmas in July promotions and Treasure Hunt Challenge! Christmas in July participating shops have the option to get extra exposure by being in our Treasure Hunt Challenge. Each participating shop will hide a tiny graphic on one of their product photos during a given time period. Once the list of participating shops is posted, users around the world will scour through the shops looking for the icons. When they find them, they will submit their entries and be entered in to win donated prizes.
This form will sign you up to be promoted by us as a shop with a Christmas in July sale and also give you the opportunity to sign up and/or donate an item for the treasure hunt challenge. You do not have to do either one to be promoted for the Christmas in July event (but if you do, you’ll get more exposure). If you choose to participate in the Treasure Hunt (by hiding a graphic or donating an item as a prize), we will contact you via email for more info. Please make sure what you enter is correct!
Questions? We’re a quick email away! email@example.com
!!!!!!!!!!!! :: SIGN UP ENDS JULY 1st :: !!!!!!!!!!!!
(current Cover Art)
Hello, EtsyMoms! The Q3 Cover Art Challenge has begun!! Head over to our facebook page
and enter your shop in to our Cover Art Challenge. Here’s how it works:
:::::::::::::: JUNE 17-23 :::::::::::::::
Post a link to a photo that best represents YOUR SHOP to the designated album on our facebook page and your shop ID (for example, mine is “sykin”). You MUST be an EtsyMom team member to win. If you’re not sure if you’re a member, go to your team listings on your etsy shop. If we’re not there, you need to go to our website and fill out the form on the Join page.
:::::::::::::: JUNE 24-30: ::::::::::::::
HOW TO VOTE: Click on the photos you think should be included on our facebook page. Hit “like”. You’ve officially voted! You can vote for more than one photo.
DEADLINE: Voting ends 11:59pm on Saturday, June 30 so don’t forget to come back and vote!
WINNERS: The 10 photos with the most “likes” will be included in our cover art to show off EtsyMom items. You must be a current EtsyMom member to win.
:::::::::::::: :::::::::::::: :::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::
I know this might seem like a silly question, but when was the last time you looked at your shop profile
? You know, that page that tells everyone who you are and why you’re selling on etsy? In a recent blog post
, Etsy reminded us it’s important to keep your profile updated. Here are their suggestions on what a well written profile should include:
- Use first person. One special aspect of buying on Etsy is connecting with other people. Hit home that there is a person behind your shop by starting with “I.”
- What makes your shop special? Why should someone buy from your shop? Share your story by talking about what sets you apart.
- Talk about your process and what inspires you. Buyers love to hear the vision behind the products, so speak up!
- Add your location to your profile. This will help local buyers find you.
- Have fun and be welcoming! Use an upbeat and positive voice to make your profile sing.
I took a quick look through our member shops and found a few great examples. Check out these profile pages (and corresponding shops!) to see what it’s all about.
wildthingsdresses * AllYouNeedDesigns * RainbowGerbera * letterqueenof4 * megansstore
Who wouldn’t love to have the EtsyMom team treasury they created be featured on the front page of etsy? I know I would! Here’s a secret that may help you out. Stick to one of these themes this month with your featured items – and your chances are a lot higher to have your treasury featured on the front page. Keep the theme throughout and make sure the photos all mesh well together. (this is also a good time to make sure your own items are well photographed so you will be featured in these treasuries) The lists below are from this month’s Etsy’s Merchandising Desk.
Themes to Plan for:
Our central merchandising themes this month focus on spring, fashion, weddings, and Mother’s Day. This emphasizes the seasonality of the Northern Hemisphere, but it’s important to remember that it is fall in the Southern Hemisphere. Maintaining seasonally appropriate options year-round is good practice for boosting international and overall sales.
- Easter: With Easter Sunday falling in early April, now is the time to state any expedited shipping and local delivery/pickup options clearly within your item descriptions to take advantage of last-minute sales.
- Spring: Bright spring colors, fashion, spring cleaning, outdoor activities, seasonal holidays and spring breaks.
- Earth Day: Falling on the 22nd this month, Earth Day celebrates the environment and all the things we can do to be kind to the earth. Think in terms of reclaiming, recycling, upcycling, eco and environmentally friendly solutions, planting, conservation and energy savers.
- Gardening: It’s spring planting time. Consider indoor, outdoor and urban gardens, tools, aprons and gloves, plant markers and signs, containers, vertical solutions, heirloom seeds and composting.
- Fashion: Spring looks that can transition into summer — think light layers and bright accessories. Take advantage of spring break and vacation season by offering your lines of swim, beach and resort wear now. Tagging Tip: Try adding the term “fashion” to appropriate items to reach a broader shopping audience.
- Weddings: Wedding season is in full swing; determine how your line of goods could expand into wedding offerings and tag accordingly if appropriate.
- Prom, Parties and Glam: Party-style dresses, vintage frocks, and the glamourous accessories to complete the perfect look. Also trending: makeup, false eyelashes, nail polish and stickers, and hair pins.
- Mother’s Day: April signifies the start to Mother’s Day shopping. Think in terms of gift ideas incorporating personalization. Other popular gift categories include cards, vases, bath and spa sets, jewelry, fashion accessories, smartphone accessories, edible gift sets and creative takes on family portraits.
- Intro to Graduation: College and university graduations take place in early to mid-May while high school ceremonies usually take place in early to mid-June. Think in terms of keepsake gifts, personalization, milestone achievements, and innovative ways to present cash gifts. Don’t forget about those end of the year gift ideas for teachers, too.
- Seasonal Escapes: Offerings for seasonal destinations: spring breaks, resorts, beaches, cruises, and ski excursions, along with appropriate luggage, travel gear, fashion, and gadgets.
- Birthdays: April’s birthstone is diamond; star signs include Aries and Taurus (March 21 – April 20: Aries, April 21 – May 20: Taurus).
- Gardening: Planters, vertical solutions, tools, garden markers, heirloom seed varieties, compost bins, terrariums, bird and bee houses.
- Gadget Accessories: Innovative gadget cases, docking stations, speakers, amplifiers and accessories, especially geared around the iPhone 4S, iPad and Kindle Fire.
- References to Harry Potter, Hunger Games, Mad Men & Alice in Wonderland — all trending in pop culture. Think in terms of symbols like arrows, birds, wizardry, magic, enchanted forests, rabbits, whimsy and mid century modern fashion and decor.
- Vintage Fashion and Decor: With the return of Mad Men‘s season 5, expect to see inspired vintage collections trending once again.
- Weddings: Engagement rings, both handcrafted and antique. Vintage, retro and rockabilly references, photobooths and props, fan programs, Mad Libs, personalized wine labels, fingerprint guest books, DIY decorations, and creative takes on the little details from save the dates all the way to favors.
- Nails: lacquers, polishes and stickers.
- Infinity Styles: Rings, scarves, bracelets & necklaces.
- Sports: Time for baseball season, hockey playoffs and golf: The Masters! Think in terms of teams, colors, and sportsmanship.
- Organization and Storage: Spring cleaning! Fresh solutions for getting organized.
- Personalization: Gift ideas with monograms, initials, text, numbers, zodiac, constellations, portraits, custom labels, stamps, fingerprints and family trees.
- Cottage: Chic decor and accessories.
- Home: Window curtains, drapes, shower curtains, bedding and hardware.
- Fashion: Spring basics and accessories, lighter layers, leggings, and bright colors.
- Culinary Trends: DIY culinary kits are on the rise. Classic cocktails, homebrewing, beer and wine accessories, herb infusions and kits, garden to table.
- Designer Vintage: Authentic fashion, collectibles, bikes and auto accessories.
- Letters, Numbers, and Symbols: Large vintage signage, letterpress blocks, monogram housewares and typewriter keys.
- Natural History: Woodland forest themes and animals, birds, owls, squirrels, hedgehogs, chipmunks, bunnies, butterflies, feathers, nests, eggs, acorns, leaves, trees, branches, woodgrain, and natural colors.
- Lockets, secret hiding places, skeleton keys, arrows, diamonds, paper cuts, silhouettes, fortune cookies, wishbones, constellations, fortune telling.
- Large scale vintage and handmade paper maps, botanical and anatomy charts.
- Upcycled lights, lamps, exposed bulbs, and chandeliers.
- Vintage cameras, especially Polaroids with film.
- Bike caddies, baskets, and creative accessories.
- Embellished, painted & customizable shoes.
- Video game-inspired references
- Writable chalkboard surfaces
- Designed Fabric Yardage
- Wall and laptop decals
- The little black dress
- Ear cuffs
Upcoming Dates to Remember
- April is known as: International Guitar Month and National Poetry Month (U.K.)
- April 1: April Fools
- April 2: Children’s Book Day
- April 5-8: Masters Golf Tournament in Augusta
- April 4: Ching Ming Festival (Hong Kong)
- April 6 – 14: Passover
- April 6: Good Friday
- April 8: Easter Sunday
- April 11-15: Pictoplasma Festival, Berlin.
- April 12 – 14: Grand National (U.K.)
- April 17: Tax Deadline
- April 22: Earth Day
- April 23: St George’s Day
- April 25: Anzac Day (Australia)
- April 27: Freedom Day (South Africa)
- April 27: Arbor Day
- April 30: Queen’s Day (Netherlands)
- April 30 – May 4: 2012 Australian Fashion Week
Who wouldn’t want a prize pack from the EtsyMom admins! Well, your chance is escaping! Check out the latest newsletter emailed to all members on March 1st for your chance to win! It’s really easy to enter.
Can’t find the newsletter we sent out? Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your shop name and we’ll resend it!